Home NEWS WORLD NEWS Lebanon vote a blow to Hezbollah: newspapers

Lebanon vote a blow to Hezbollah: newspapers

0
Lebanon vote a blow to Hezbollah: newspapers

AFP, Beirut, June 8, 2009 – Lebanon’s legislative election dealt a blow to the Iranian-backed Hezbollah alliance which was defeated by pro-Western parties and the challenge now lies in avoiding a political crisis, newspapers said on Monday.
’They were broken … Lebanon wins,’ screamed a headline in the daily Asharq Al-Awsat, funded by Saudi Arabia, in referring to the Hezbollah alliance.
’The majority is back,’ said the Al-Akhbar newspaper, close to the alliance headed by the Shiite militant party.
’The Opposition suffered a great defeat,’ it said, adding that the country now stood at a crossroads that could lead to a political crisis similar to the one that brought the country close to civil war in May last year.
’The Opposition lost the elections and remains in the Opposition,’ it said. ’The March 14 (ruling coalition) won and retains the majority.’
Al-Mustaqbal newspaper, owned by majority leader Saad Hariri, said his camp had won 71 seats in the 128-seat parliament and Hezbollah and its allies had won 57 seats.
Official results were due later on Monday.
The As-Safir daily, close to the Opposition, said: ’The elections once again lead to a parliament of national divisions.’
’The majority managed to convince a great number of voters, especially Christians, by using propaganda and catchy slogans,’ it said.
It questioned whether the two rival camps will now be able to form a national unity government.
’What kind of government will emerge from these elections?’ it said. ’Will the Opposition insist once again on having a blocking minority and will the majority refuse once again to give it to them.
’Should we already brace ourselves for a new political crisis?’ it added.
The current Sunni-led majority swept to power in 2005 on a wave of popular anger following the assassination Hariri’s father, ex-premier Rafiq Hariri, in a massive Beirut car bombing.
The murder was widely blamed on former powerbroker Syria, which denied any involvement, and the ensuing public outcry led to Damascus withdrawing its troops from Lebanon after a 29-year presence.