
Iran’s ballistic missile program will not be discussed in nuclear negotiations with world powers, the deputy foreign minister said in statements published Monday.
The remarks by Abbas Araqchi, who is also Iran’s lead negotiator in talks with world powers, came a week before negotiations were to resume on a comprehensive accord over Tehran’s nuclear ambitions.
“Iran’s defense-related issues are not up for negotiations,” Araqchi said, according to media reports.
“We will not discuss any issue other than the nuclear dossier in the negotiations,” he added.
US lead negotiator in the talks, Wendy Sherman, last week told a Senate hearing that Iran’s ballistic missile program would be addressed in the comprehensive deal.
“The defense-related issues are a red line for Iran. We will not allow such issues to be discussed in future talks,” said Araqchi.
Tehran insists its program — boasting long-range missiles with a maximum range of 2,000 kilometers (1,200 miles), enough to reach Israel — is an integral part of its defense doctrine.