
AFP, Sirte, Libya , 01 July 2009 – Iran’s hardline President Mahmoud Ahmadinejad cancelled his visit to Libya Wednesday, sparing an African summit a diplomatic dilemna that threatened to eclipse talks on a continental government.
Ahmadinejad’s office on Tuesday had announced the visit to the African Union summit in the seaside Libyan town of Sirte, but the following morning said the trip had been called off, without giving a reason.
His unexpected visit, just two days after the confirmation of his re-election despite mass street protests, had heightened tensions at the summit where delegates said Libyan leader and current AU chief Moamer Kadhafi had extended the invitation without consulting the 53-member bloc.
“It’s good news,” said one European diplomat observing the talks.
The planned Iranian visit had sparked debate among diplomats on how to react to a speech by Ahmadinejad at an event where Italian Prime Minister Silvio Berlusconi, who hosts the Group of Eight summit of rich nations next week, was also an invited guest.